Friday, May 4, 2012

Book Review: How White Folks Got So Rich by Aminah Muhammad

     In history, my sister and I just finished a book called How White Folks Got So Rich: The Untold Story of American White Supremacy.  I really enjoyed reading it. Some of the things I learned are:

  •  A black woman named Henrietta Lacks, died of cancer in 1951. Her family later found out that her very unique cells were being used for drugs.
  •   In Holmesburg Prison, skin experiments were being done on the Black prisoners by cosmetic company scientists. 
  • Prisoners earn 0.23 an hour, meaning American gets cheap labor from prisoners.
  • Some of the companies that benefit from cheap labor are: IBM, Texas Instruments, Dell, Kmart, JCPenny, Honeywell, Microsoft, Motorolo, Chevron, McDonalds, Victoria's Secret and more. This is important because these stores are extremely popular so most of America buys merchandise that is made thanks to cheap labor and don't know it.
These things are, like the Holocaust, but while the Holocaust is known world wide, very few know of the suffering of Black people by the hands of the American government. I recommend this book to any and everyone.









2 comments:

  1. Dear Readers,
    Please comment on my book review. If you have read the book or are reading it, please tell me how you like it.
    Thanks,
    Aminah M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Aminah, Good Job! I am really happy you enjoyed reading the book. I enjoyed reading and discussing it with you. It was a joy to see your face light up when certain parts really peaked your interest. I am thoroughly enjoying learning with you.

      As for your request for others to comment. I hope they do. As you realize for whatever reason comments are not being posted below but delivered via email. Maybe because anonymous. not sure. I just hope others are not ran off from responding because they think no one else has. and as you know from the stats section. Folks are reading.
      Thanks again for wanting to share what you are learning.
      Love You

      Delete