Greetings and Peace, I am a little tired but wanted to do this post while on my brain. The Boy's latest science project was snot. He took it with him to a few places and it was a big hit. A few folks asked how to make it so I figured I would just post it here.
What you need:
- borax laundry booster (no other detergent will do)
- measuring cup
- tap water
- clean, empty 1 liter/quart soda bottle (we used a glass jar)
- elmer's glue (no other kind will do)
- green food coloring
What you do:
- Mix 1/8 cup of Borax laundry booster and 1/2 liter WARM water in soda bottle. Shake until most of the borax dissolves (if all of it doesn't dissolve, that's ok). Let this solution cool to room temperature.
- Place 4 tablespoon of glue into a cup
- add 4 tablespoons of water. stir.
- add 2 drops of green food coloring. stir well.
- Measure 3 tablespoons of borax solution from the soda bottle and add to glue mixture in cup; stir until the mixture looks like a clump of snot in a pool of water.
Yes we talked about the function of snot and why this experiment works (polymers and cross linkers). I am not sure how much he retained or will retain but he enjoyed it. He wants to make blood next. I am down and a great way to get him to learn about his body.