Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wondering If/When...

As I finally sit down after toiling non-stop in the house to break for maybe 20minutes I am wondering if or when I will put my urban farmer hat on. This past garden was great, but with the realities of my world it was/is hard to maintain. And the children really aren't interested. In theory, yes. The practical application not so much.
Faith Making Zucchini Bread
 I do realize that part of the problem was me scheduling way too much stuff at the height of the season. It just went down hill from there. But praise God we are still reaping the fruits of the initial labor. As I look at this month alone we were literally away from home 2/4 weeks. I do not regret the excursions at all. Just stating the facts.
I have never attempted a winter garden but I want to... I think. That means stuff (space cleared and certain things planted) should have been done. So I'm already late. And with us starting the traditional part of our schooling tomorrow and WHATNOT I do not foresee really having the time until Friday, if then.  Hmmm. I need to think this over. Even if I do make it happen I need to commit to caring for it. Also need to chart harvesting times to make it work, or see if it will work, with other realities.

Then there are the other issues that make me feel guilty if I do not...

  • Having the space.
  • Food Security
  • Healthier
  • Hands-on science
  • Can I really see my yard not producing?

 Anyway, a lot to ponder. I think first thing is to set a date this week to check on the bees. The Boy will be happy about that.

Images from our time off the grid:


boys will be boys







3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean!
    For me, winter gardening feels easier, but it's still a commitment. I believe if I didn't feel badly inside if I didn't do it, I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession. I mysteriously ended up on the library catalog page & requested 7 books before I was zapped out of my trance. Then I began to think that winters, especially here (brrrr) are meant for curling up with a good book. I attempted to convince myself otherwise. Your sister just recommended another

      Delete
  2. realizing that i spent a good part of winter in a papasan chair in front of fire reading books about gardening. Anyway computer bugging and it is late. This is Erika although I do not know whose name will appear as I was on my cell yet Aminah's name came up. Now I am on Robert's computer.

    ReplyDelete