Sunday, August 5, 2012

Free Chairs

A friend of mine knew I was in need of chairs. In her travels she came across some free chairs on the side of the road and had enough confidence in my homemaking skills to pick them up for me; AND hold on to them until I came around to actual try to do something with them. I did not see them but from what she had described it was not a project I wanted to tackle. Fast Forward a few months and different outlook on a few things I just happened to to let her know I was STILL in need of chairs. She said GREAT and went and got these chairs. Though I was grateful I was skeptical but hey (huge sigh)...

 So this is how it went.
Step 1: Pick up chairs and try to have a vision. See Beyond what they currently look and smell like.
Step 2: Put chairs in backyard because they cannot come in my house. In fact, husband can't see these because he will know for sure that I have lost my mind.
Step 3: RESEARCH (thank God for the internet)
Step 4: Really look at the chairs and assess what needs to be done.

Step 5: Take the seat off because they were filthy and particle board looked weak anyway.
Step 6: Hose down and Scrub remaining portion of the chairs.
Step 7: Let dry and make a template of the existing seat.
Step 8: Go to Urban Ore to purchase plywood to recreate the seat portion.
Step 9: Fabric Depot to purchase all other supplies. I purchased the seat foam there but fabric was more than I was willing to pay and they were out of spray adhesive.
Step 10: Went to Beverly's because I really like their clearance selection.
Step 11: Walk across St to hardware store to purchase spray adhesive and staples for staple gun.
Step 12: Home to clean off plywood and let dry while I marinate on what to do next.
Oh forgot to mention that while all this was going on I was looking for clamps to borrow so that I hold down the wood while I cut. Could not get a hold of any clamps so...

human clamp to the rescue

 --company here so going to wrap this up--
Step 13: Wood dry so cut new seats and foam
Step 14: adhere foam to seat
Step 15:  cut fabric and put it on new seats
Step 16: screw seats back to chairs

 
Total cost: $38
foam $22
adhesive spray $11.
fabric $4
plywood $1
chairs $0
Screws $0 (already had on had)

No comments:

Post a Comment