Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Facebook...I Quit You

Yesterday I got a note on my fb page that on Aug 13 I would have to switch to the timeline format. In and of itself that is nothing major, BUT for me it was the deciding factor. When timeline first became an option a good friend of mine switched and I hated it. However, it is her page so if she likes that option go for it.
Wait. FB is a company like any other so if they want to change their format they have the right, but I also have right not to subscribe and I don't really need a good reason to. People seem to like change these days as every month when I log on to Constant Contacts to create a newsletter they are asking me to watch a video about all the new changes. It drives me nuts, would be worse, but at least I can still go in and do what I need to do without watching a new video every month. However, it is still annoying. Anyway, I stick with their company because the choice is not mine. And I guess I could complain but I don't. Just like I guess I could join many others and complain to Facebook, but i am not. Maybe when I have more time on my hands or care that much. For now I will vote by opting out.

On a real note. Quitting FB is going to be a challenge. I would be telling other than the truth to say I am not going to miss it. There are so many great things about it. But hey, I plan to see how things go for at least the next 3 months. I have a lot of projects to complete within that time frame and hopefully the time that I spend on fb can be geared towards those goals.
One thing I am concerned about is the news. Many of my fb friends post really great articles so I will have to be more diligent about keeping up to date with current events, which leads me to a favor.

If you come across an article or picture or something that is a must read or you think that would interest me. If not too much trouble please send it to me. That goes for updates on your life and or children as well. It seems kinda selfish to ask. When I was debating with myself about whether I should quit fb I kept telling myself that it is selfish to ask others to go out of their way to include me when I can just suck it up and stay on fb. Obviously quitting fb won. And if I am out of the loop when we finally meet up again it will give us something to talk about.

When I thought of this post earlier it seemed a lot more crisp in my head: columns with pros and cons. bullets and such. However, as I really just desire to be sleep and am on autopilot I am happy to just be rambling on and getting this done since I have already been asked a few times. You may be thinking well take your backside to sleep. Trust me, Tonight it is not that simple.
With that, God bless and goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. You and I share very similar sentiments as to why I should quit or not quit FB. Especially in regards to daily news, I don't have a television and subscribe to a newspaper (other than Sunday). This will require me to be diligent about keeping up with the news myself. There is also your point on keeping up with other people's lives and growth they may experience. I will definitely miss your updates and your inspirations. Thanks for all you have done, do, and will do.
    Leticia Citizen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the the day comes closer I am trying to enjoy fb but at the same time am looking forward to the break. Once again, i may go back but we shall see. I know i am going to miss you all.

      Delete
  2. As a person who has refused to use Facebook and only recently created a dummy account just to make contact with an old friend (other than that I never use it), I applaud you! I hate FB. FB is just a place where companies can search for customers who have already labeled themselves as "liking' their products. Amazing. Plus exactly how much access does government agencies or corporations have to override your privacy settings?

    ReplyDelete