Saturday, July 14, 2012

Preppin


Greetings! I really should use this time to continue to prepare for the upcoming school year but NO... I would rather blog about it. Past history shows that I will not start that until at least 11. Although I am aiming for earlier tonight.
Doing Work even w/ company. He Got to join in on the fun.
How I even got on preparing for upcoming year was rather funny this go round. A few things had come up in my life that left me focused/figuring out other things; not to mention that we were behind on completing this year's goals. For all those who do not know me, I don't believe in social promotion so no need to prepare for next year if not finished with this one.
Moving on...
Around the end of May, I believe, I began getting calls from Unschoolers asking me about the upcoming school year. The first call I was shocked but dismissed it. But after the third call I was wondering what was up. Basically, they all said the same thing, that I usually have a rough plan of upcoming year. So after the third call and life continuing to stay busy and with a few dates up in the air I carved out a schedule to have us complete the existing goals. And lo and behold, after two weeks, though we were not complete I could see completion near and my mind instantly went into gear preppin for the upcoming year.
Although the schedule (in a London accent) is not set in stone it feels really great to have a skeleton of the plan ahead. I am also really grateful to those that called because with all that we plan to accomplish in the first semester alone it is going to require a good amount of prep work.
Now I'm off to pre-read, develop discussion questions and activities.

Oh, you may be wondering why so much prep work. It all depends on the subject but reality is I don't want my children fed the same lies that were fed to me. And if they are they need to know how to deconstruct them. So I do not use regular history books and if I do I still feel the need to create my own questions which means I have to read the material to figure out what exactly is covered; and/or to know what else has to be covered.
The most prep time is spent in Islamic Studies, History, and Lang. Arts.

2 comments:

  1. Even though summer is "off," you're never really off, are you? Learning all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NONSTOP! But I have noticed a big push in the summer makes for a great semester and if i'm really on it a great year. or I have to do another big push midway. But much easier than constantly barely staying a little bit ahead of them for the entire semester or year.

      Delete