Sunday, June 3, 2012

Slow Start

Today got off to a slow start in my neck of the woods. It was an odd day. Productive but odd. I did not rush around and get a bunch of things done in a short amount of time, but the few things I did I enjoyed. I enjoyed the slowness of taking my time working in the yard. I got a good amount done out there and a lot of observing. I also listened to a few lectures and did some mental planning on the next academic year although we are not finished with this one. I also cooked a decent meal around which we laughed and talked as a family. Now I am sitting on the couch, procrastinating(blogging) before I tend to the kitchen.
I didn't take many pictures, wasn't in that type of mood.

Garden accomplishments in the yard today:

  • Faith started to plant in her plot. And put in a request for a few transplants.
  • Bees, in both hives, seem to be doing their thing. We didn't inspect from the inside. Just observing from the outside. I really enjoy being in their space. It smells so good. And it also shows how far I have come. I never would have pictured myself in a short sleeve shirt weeding near not one, but two, beehives with no fear.
  • Noticed we have a few cucumbers growing, which was a total surprise.
  • Inshallah we will have tomatoes soon. I also pruned a few plants. First time ever. Oh and I put cages around others, way late but I guess better late than never. When I planted all these tomatoes I had the grand idea of pruning and training them all magnificently like I had read in a few articles. That didn't happen.
  • Planted a few more seeds (sunflower and green bean).
  • Noticed we have a few zucchinis grow on a plant.Also another surprise. Earlier this week I saw the flowers but I have never had them pollinated so quickly. But then again I never had them next to a beehive.
  • Observed that our pole beans are in such desperate need of poles to climb some of them have resorted to wrapping around onions. Hopefully I will resolve this issue this week. 
  • WEEDING. WEEDING. and more WEEDING! The area behind the fence... finished half of it. Still does not look as neat and polished as I would like, but much better. Also weeded the veggie beds for the most part and along the walkways and by the beehives. 
  • and watered the sod I installed in an area that took forever to weed earlier this week. I had no intention of putting sod there but after that small space took forever to weed I literally stopped everything to install sod. Inshallah it will take.
  • Watched the chickens and chicks and had some good laughs and more stories with children.
As I reflect, a lot of the yard work I accomplished this week was not intentional nor planned. I just had to put other things on hold and make it happen. Earlier this week, was interesting (that was the sod episode). I went out there to create a space for the chicks in the coop because THEY HAD TO GET OUT OF MY GARAGE. But then those weeds. Completely through me off track. But I am glad because in the long run it will save me time and energy if the sod works out. And yes, many hours later, I was able to complete the task I went out there for.

As I look at my yard and think on my life I can't help but to think how green my grass is (figuratively and literally). I thank Allah for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment