Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sew This is My Story



My grandma attempted to teach me how to sew while I was in middle school. I don't recall much about it, except her machine always seemed to have an issue of some sort which made a tomboy like myself lose interest REAL quick. I never completed a project, never had one in mind to even work on. I wasn't interested. I just wanted to get done so I could go play outside.

Junior year of high school I moved back in with my mom. She was excited and wanted to fix my living quarters up. She was GIRLY and I was not. You pick one of her obviously girly traits and I was the opposite. She had a ceramic business for awhile and did great work. I liked her stuff but never volunteered to help her in the shop. I preferred to help my stepfather build things in his workshop. Anyway, she had the grand idea of me making a comforter, pillow cases, curtains, etc. Aside from the fact that me moving there was a prison sentence in itself (in my mind) this was not my thing and in no way shape or form was I excited. With FORCE  she made me complete a really summer blanket with her doing the rest of the stuff. The room turned out nice but I can't say it had me wanting to sew. Not in the least bit.
One of my favs. This was a peach linen fabric. 

Fast Forward to 2006.  I registered in the NOI, where it is stated that all women should know how to sew. No biggie. I'll get to that, but who knows when. I purchased a few items for myself from a sister that was (is) a really good seamstress but that still did not make me want to learn how to sew. Then I purchased outfits for my daughters. I began to do the math... and the spark was there. Emphasis on the word spark.

What caused a raging wild fire was when I went to Sears, yes Sears, to purchase a few things for my eldest daughter who was 7 at the time. I looked at the clothes. Disappointed but what else is new? So I went to the underclothes section and what I saw floored me. They had SEXY underclothes being sold for children. I was in disbelief. For some, you may think so what, what else is new. Well I am not a shopper, never was. I can probably count on one hand how many times I have been in a mall in the past 3 years.  Oh, I forgot to mention that prior to joining the NOI I dressed fairly modest anyway so the average stores never appealed to me. Going to the mall was futile. Nonetheless I hightailed it out the mall while calling my husband to let him know I don't care how but he had to tweak his schedule so that I could take a sewing class. I realized at that moment that if I wanted to dress my daughters modestly I was going to have to do it myself.

Peace skating at the Phoenix, Az zoo
I enrolled in a sewing class at an adult school. I purchased a machine. A good machine. The machine itself was an adventure. Although I had basically never sewn before and didn't know if I would like it I refused to buy a cheap machine. I began to have flashbacks of sitting in front of my grandma's machine trying to figure out what was wrong now. I looked at a few machines, tried a few, read reviews, talked to a bunch of folks and made my decision. The price was a little unsettling to me. My husband said to go for it but I just couldn't. Then I did the math. If instead of buying my girls clothes from others and made them myself I would have to make this many outfits to at least break even. I forget the number but I recall thinking,  "Oh, that's it. I can commit to that." And like that, I purchased the machine with no regrets. I have well exceeded the minimum requirements.  I have yet to use all the great features on the machine but I plan to, soon.  I finally think I am at a point where the girls wardrobes are stable enough which will allow time for a little more creativity.  Instead of being in a sewing for a need mode. I am also pleased to say that almost 5 years later to the date I have never had any problems from the machine.
This fabric is from when I went to Ghana in 97. Pre-children.  Faith loved this garment.
So here I am 5 years later still sewing a good portion of my girls clothes. I wouldn't say that I am a seamstress or that I even enjoy the process, but I like the outcome so I continue. I love to see sisters that are all into it and creative. I recently joined a FB group and it is refreshing to see many of the sisters trying to master this skill. I think this is my favorite fb group even though I am not an avid sewer. Maybe one day I will have that drive and passion. As for now, I must admit, it is a means to an end. And if I say so myself, I am not too bad at it either. (Praise God) The girls make their request and I try to fill them. My girls and I recently read a book, The Power of Modesty by Kevin Muhammd. While discussing the book I asked them if they ever experienced wearing something that was inappropriate and the different energy that surrounded them. One of my daughters looked at me with a blank stare and said, "I don't have any inappropriate clothing. So i do not know." I cocked my head back to ponder and said, "Praise be to Allah! You don't!" That was one of those proud Muslim momma moments. I pray that I and they keep this trend going. So with that I plan to get my chores done so that I can sew to keep us dressing modestly in a manner to please God. In case you are wondering, YES I plan to teach them how to sew.
Faith really liked this garment too. She would wear Amber earrings that her father gave me with it.


2 comments:

  1. I have loved watching your skills grow. When my oldest was a toddler, nothing fit her because she was so wee. I modified a simple dress pattern and made about a billion versions. Many kids later, I don't seem to have enough time. Maybe some day. Your girls are really fortunate to have you to teach them. . . on a good machine : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always empowering to create the reality we want for our AA children. Our family is not consumeristic. We are very selective, not only when it comes to avoiding trendy clothing but also at the grocery store when choosing whole, organic food. The corporations that create this culture mean us no good. When my daughter was a little girl, she dressed like one. The clothing choices now are becoming increasingly more ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete