Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is Science?

This is one area I always feel I am not doing enough in. Yes, we do at least one organized lab a week and have all kinds of organically grown science projects/experiments around our house but it just seems like we need more.
So what is science? I liked this explanation that can be found at the following link http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/science-definition.html.

As I type The Boy is telling me about a critter his father got him to put into his praying mantis habitat. Obviously, it is different than the red wigglers we use to compost. Supposedly it will eat the praying mantis if the praying mantis doesn't eat it first.
I think what I would like to do is make all the science we do a little more "formal". Our old house used to have posters and charts to help us recall what we were learning and doing. I think it is time to tag on these walls. Make charts, posters, graphs, print pictures. HHHmmmm need to get a new printer. God willing, that will all happen early in the new year.  For now, here are a few pictures of us doing science (this week).
I am amazed at how fast thought travels. I was also interrupted by Faith needing my help to set up the solar oven. (I just posted in a garden club that we need to dust it off). Then The Boy telling me he wants to do math on the wall. Ok, not actual wall. but you know. He even said he already has a huge piece of paper. Although I am happy he is trying to recycle, he can't use that sheet because it is the poster I use in my writing class. Not recyclable just yet.
My attempt to actually blog in the middle of the day was not as uninterrupted as I had hoped, it has been a learning experience. But then again, What isn't?
I love this picture. Girls working together and they are wearing their work boots. The sight of my children in work boots always makes me smile. Oh and don't mind all that wood in the backdrop. i hope to turn it into a chicken run.

Helping Faith set up the solar oven

The Boy pouring the ph indicator into the liquids to determine if it is an acid or a base.


This is after we used a ph indicator. These (pinks) are acids. Greens are bases and purples are neutral. I think The Boy either mixed this with mineral water and or added an antacid to cause the chemical reaction.
The messy table. Took picture to shame The Boy into cleaning up after himself.

The Boy before he does his experiment with acids and bases.

The Boy tasting his experiment.
Faith tasting The Boy's experiment.

The Boy convinced Peace to taste his experiment.


Robert & The Boy tending to his car.
 The joys of learning.

4 comments:

  1. did the pic work? (shaming nasir into cleaning the table i mean)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pics are not in proper order. i meant to put that. so i won't find out until after our next experiment (and after i show him this blog :)) Of course he cleaned up after i mentioned it to him. My goal is to not to have to remind him to clean up after himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and we did two experiments this week. Just similar. The first time we cleaned up together. The second time he said he wanted to keep mixing while I worked with girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww we are sucha cute little family

    ReplyDelete