Sunday, December 18, 2011

Builders Build

GREETINGS!
Not sure where to start. HHhhhmm let me try this one:
1 girl (me), 3 children, a supportive husband and a yearning for more chick(en)s (a dozen).

This project was fun and definitely a learning experience. Initially, I looked at books and sites seeking to copy someone's plan. However, none of them were quite what I wanted. And I wanted to use recycled materials. Oh and when using recycled materials you MUST be flexible. For instance, after having no luck with wood donations i decided I would use pallets because I knew I could get them for free. Well, in my initial research it seemed like pallets came in a standard size. I quickly learned that this is not the case. Yes, I could have kept collecting until I was able to work with all the same size but instead I chose to use what i had and get the project going. And I think it worked out fine. Here are a few pictures to tell the story.
Just trying to get a visual since working from an idea in my head.

Still visualizing
and still

Faith working the saw so she will have the skill and an appreciation for power tools.
Peace was kind enough to step out the house and take a photo from afar of me tinkering while they were watching a movie or something.

Ok. that part is done. Thanks to my lovely family who helped me flip this thing over. All hands were on deck for that.

I see. and I like.


Coming along nicely.

future egg door
Grateful they decided to come check on me. Getting ready to put roof on.


small door is chicken door. big door is access/cleaning door.


egg door

this is a view of inside the coop from one of back doors. spacious.

chicken testing out the new floors. a mixture of cork board and tiles.

scrapped together this wall. it was hard to come by good quality exterior plywood.

interior view from egg door

pretty much complete. I did change the roof on the right side.
primed and painted. however, we didn't care for this color. Tho it was free wasn't lively enough.

Got this blue. Only had a little but made it work. I also hope children use coop as a canvas and paint over this with their own designs. We shall see.
All Praise is Due To God.
Big Thank You to ECOHome Improvement. They provided the pallets, cork boards, and tiles. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Glad they see the value in recycling. They have nice stuff in there and a coupon in the Chinook Book. Check them out. ECOHOME Improvement My neighbor for having a pallet on top of his dumpster that provided the inspiration behind this coop. All the strangers that have posted pictures of their coop journeys on the internet because through studying theirs I was able to create my own. A man that serves as a father to me for all the tools and listening to me ramble about how i was planning to piece this thing together even when he was unsure about my methods. (By-the-way, he really likes coop and he is a builder so means a lot to me). The McCauley's for roofing and 4x4s. A random freecycler for the paint. Big Shout to Urban Ore for all the hardware and the wood I recently purchased so I can build a run. Westmoor High School for offering carpentry (and allowing a girl to take the class). Even though it was years ago it gave me the confidence that I could tackle the project and the know how to work the tools. 
And of course, my family for giving me the time and space to achieve this goal.










2 comments:

  1. I bet if you provide the means, they will provide the art. Thanks for the photo essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASA. This was magnificent. These are the stories the Nation needs to hear and see.

    ReplyDelete