Friday, May 6, 2011

How It All Got Started--kind of

     A.N.N.'s Academy was started in 2005 when we (Robert and Erika) officially took on the awesome responsibility to be the primary educators of our children. We had three students--Peace 5, Faith 3, and The Boy 1. Hence the name. Coincidentally their grandmother's name is Ann. Easy enough. We also realized we needed a name because everyone wants to know what school you attend. And well, most times it is easier to just say a name instead of saying "we homeschool."
     Per my proofreader's request, Faith : ) She would like me to go deeper into the matter.
     I have always been partial to homeschooling. Never experiencing it (in these terms, at least), never knowingly knowing anyone that had been homeschooled. It just seemed natural to me. Maybe it is because the amount of time my dad invested in me as a child. I have some memories of school but the bulk of my childhood memories that involve actual learning revolve around my dad. Funny thing is that I never saw myself homeschooling my own children.
Fast Forward a bit. Faith 1, Peace 3.
I began to look at schools to prepare myself and children for the task ahead. Preschool was really to give me some solo bonding time with Faith. After MUCH searching we settled on a spot. It was a "homeschooling" setup--small, black, mixed ages (interacting family style). They welcomed, encouraged, parent participation. And to top it off it was walking distance from our house.
Peace seemed to enjoy it there but one day she requested to stay home with me. Of course I asked why. Her response was simple, "Mommy. I learn more and have fun with you." She was persistent in her claim. Not in the whiny this is torture going here 3 days a week kinda way. Just in a if i had my druthers, this is not how i would utilize my time kinda way. Robert agreed and supported. We finished out the school year, which allowed me time to transition--mentally. And as they say, "the rest is history."

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!! You inspire me to continue to plan so that I too can home school Soleil.
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! My first thought was it is worth it. then the long hours, no time alone stuff kicked in. and then, it is worth it came back so... .

    ReplyDelete