Sunday, February 5, 2012

YOU have so much to BE THANKFUL for


The children and I started the year off keeping a Gratitude Journal for 30 days. We all like the concept but we were horrible at doing it, as a group (this time around). I simply kept forgetting to remind them the first few days. In my mind I was thinking it should be done right before you go to bed. As in a way to reflect on all the happenings of the day. Since I do not go to bed til late it wouldn't be on my mind to remind them. Then I had them put them on their pillows so they would do before they went to sleep at night and sometimes they did sometimes they didn't. I would usually catch the missed entry less than 24 hours later but it didn't flow like I wanted.
Nonetheless, this is what they had to say about the experience:

The Boy: "I didn't dislike it at all. I like how I improved my writing with that. I was most grateful for my chicks, chickens, and my parents. I would be ok with doing it again."

Faith: She preferred doing it in the morning at the table. The hardest part for her was being specific and remembering to do it. (This time around they has to be specific. For instance, they could not just say I am grateful for my chickens. They had to tell why they are grateful for their chickens). She said next time she thinks we should do it in the am in one book as a family, like the awesomeness chart.

Peace: She thought it was fun. She had more to be grateful for than she thought. She enjoyed decorating her journal. Also stated that is was easy to forget to do it.


As for my Gratitude Journal... it went well and was a great way to end the night. As I have heard it said, "If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is 'thank you', that would suffice."

No comments:

Post a Comment