Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Last Two Days


The last two days I focused on getting garden beds in place. Here are a few pictures to tell a portion of the story.


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Don't won't to miss this opportunity!
Main Area I would like to get ready. I already cleared out the existing beds. Would like to add compost and leaves to those.

Taking off the Wood Chips. Great to use for pathways or to keep weeds out but acidic.

Chicken making sure I am doing it right. Chickens are hilarious. They provide hours of entertainment.
Taking out more wood chips

Boxes are assembled.

Natural Born Tillers. Enough Said.
The chickens sifting through what I put in.

Although I appreciate their help I had to put up a makeshift fence because it was hard to watch them kick out what I put into the boxes. Our wheelbarrow is not here right now so i was carrying that in buckets. MANY MANY trips. And I didn't ask the children to help so it was just me.

Almost complete. Well I want to add another smaller box and possibly some container plants.


Making an entry way.


Peace doing her thing.

It was a joy to look up and see her enjoying herself. Playing her part in the garden. I had to stop working to take her picture.


 The Chickens
I saw this box at Costco so got it to turn it into a nesting box. i use recycled boxes so I don't have to clean them. When they get used to the point of needing a new one I just recycle/compost it.

I took the wire down in the coop so now the chicks and chickens are in same area. I left some wire in there so that it is already an area reserved for __________.

I found this. The chickens used the straw to make their own nesting box. I like. Especially since still near egg door.

Peace's art for the day.

This was my compost staging area. I was trying to clear half of it so we could fit a crate back there but the chickens. Oh the chickens. They prefer it level I guess.
 Two More Areas


Before

After


I didn't get a picture of the leaf collectors (Faith and The Boy). That was their chore this morning, to rake the up the neighbor's leaves and bring them to the yard. They did a great job. The funny part was when the neighbor's son came in the backyard early evening and The Boy was telling him that all the leaves came from his yard. The boy said, "Wow!" The Boy was telling him how fun it was to rake the leaves and that he should have helped. The boy said, "I saw you out there raking leaves when I woke up." The Boy responded, "Why didn't you come help it was fun." And the conversation ended. Well they moved on to another topic. I am glad my children enjoy working (a good portion of the time).


Check out this site on the many uses of leaves in the garden.

2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! You're getting so much done. It's going to look great. Aminah has inspired me -- I want to get Sarafina to do some painting out back.

    ReplyDelete