Sunday, January 15, 2012

How To Make A Raised Bed

Salaam (Peace),
I hope this finds you all well and thanks for taking the time to read the blog.
A few folks asked how to make raised beds so here goes:
Materials:
  • 2x8 untreated (this size only required one. $6 at Home Depot, including tax)
  • 3 inch screws (12)
  • drill
*This is so easy I literally took the picture while doing this all by myself. The children were playing and the husband was at work. 
    This a 2x8.

    Visualizing Before I Screw Together

    I pre-drill holes.

    Those are the 3 screws that will hold these two pieces together

    My help. They were all in my personal space.
    I just eyeballed but if you want to be more precise that will work too.

    Finished product. The chickens were going through it while i put drill away. It was like they were playing London Bridges.

    Future home of the raised bed. Started clearing then thought about taking a picture. From the various things I have read you do not have to clear a space if you are putting cardboard down but I chose to.
    All Clear

    Cardboard down. Scraps. I had saved a good amount but they went to the other beds. This was the last of it.

    Put some other kind of paper on top too because the cardboard didn't cover the entire area. And this will break down fast.
    Oh I watered the bottom cardboard and paper. You can begin to fill it up with your soil of choice. Everybody seems to have their miracle soil. Or a recipe to make one. But I will leave that part up to you.
    Square Foot Gardening
    I first heard of the above concept in June of 2011 because a neighbor was doing it. She had the boxes the grid and a good amount of food. So I asked what her method was and she recommended the book. I wasn't surprised by the proximity of her plants because I was already packing stuff in in our garden. Nonetheless I wanted to know more about it. So I read it. I happened to be at Outdoor School when reading it and a few other folks there had tried it, some with success and others without. After reading and speaking with a few folks I saw a way that I can do it with my twist. So we shall see. Oh, my favorite part of the book is when he gives you examples and guides to how much you can plant in a square.
    Last three thoughts on this book:
    1.Would I recommend reading it. Sure why not? But not a must. I have never read his site. But found it when I was looking for a link to the book. I may check it out. I do want to check out the book again so I can see his space requirements one more time. Maybe it is on the website.
    2. I will probably do a yarn grid while planting then take it down or leave it up. we will see. But def not buying wood to put across it.
    3.You can check it out from your local library

    Random picture. As I was finishing up in the yard I saw him; and thought it would make a great picture.

    Looking at it now makes me think I should have gotten a better picture of his shirt. It is funny. Maybe next time. Happy Gardening!





    2 comments:

    1. Great post! I wonder if we could do this on our condo patio?
      Hmmm.......that shirt. It looks familiar ;-).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Rhoshanda, glad you liked post and you know that is one of his favorites. We are enjoying helping you get your money's worth. As for the garden. Yes but i think you should put something underneath. I do not have much experience with patio gardening but google search it. I randomly see very cool and creative things happening on patios. I also subscribe to this one blog http://lifeonthebalcony.com/ that is where i got inspiration to try to grow a lemon tree in a container. I hope this helps.
        erika

        Delete