Sunday, November 27, 2011

If You're Not Conserving Water You Outta

I hope this finds you all well. I wanted to do a brief post on conserving water. I do not think we are experts and I know we can do better but this is just one way we have added to doing our part to waste less.
What I do is keep a container with a funnel behind the sink area so people can pour water that would ordinarily be poured down the drain into the container. This water is then used to water our compost bin. The idea came from my grandmother. When we were younger she kept a watering can near the sink and would then water her plants with the water. I don't do house plants but I do need to water the compost bin. I can't wrap my mind around taking "fresh" water out the water hose to water compost so instead of watering house plants I use the water for our compost bin.

The above photo simply displays one cooking session. I made soup which requires beans to be soaked. I poured that water into a container. I made a salad which requires cleaning veggies. I poured that water into a container. Then I had the children pour the containers of water into the compost bin. (The bag in the middle has veggie scraps for the chickens so they won't go in the garbage either). I also think this batch has water from rinsed dishes. Nonetheless, you get the gist.

Yes, this system does take a little more time but i feel it is worth. And having the children empty the water for me is a big help.

Like always, I hope this inspires you to do your part and waste less. And if you have other water savings suggestions please share. Below you will find the links to some of our water savings jams. If you know of others, please recommend.

1 comment: